3 Major Discipline Toward Camera Lenses
1. The camera lens is uses for taking photos, not for burning money. many “gadget geeks” put the cart before the horse by turning photography lenses into an art of collection, which has spoil the use of camera lenses. However, if people are discussing about lenses and exchange ideas, this can bring a lot of fun as well. You are not necessary need to own it to have such fun.
2. The important thing is not what kind of lens you have, but is the head behind the lens. The lens is a means, not a purpose. You should focus more on how to make good use of the lens, shooting for high quality photos. There are a lot of good lenses discussion that you can find on the online forums.
3. You should best to leave off while performing testing of the lens. It can be an endless task to test on the lens. As a metaphor saying: It is easy to get addicted when whet an axe for firewood chopping, but your major concern should be using the axe to chop the firewood instead of wasting time on whet an axe.
8 Points For Your Attention
1. The lens is more important than the camera. If you only have limited fund, then you should invest your money in the lens. Since lens determines everything at last. The difference is obvious for the formation of image of the lens. The ultimate problem of buying camera is how to save money from buying reasonable camera and spend more to buy the lens. The most low-grade DSLR camera today, already come with basic requirement of professional photography, which are able to produce high quality and professional photos. As to the amateur photographers, some special functions and all-metal waterproof cameras are totally surplus. The camera is developed too fast, you shouldn’t regard them as durable goods. The new generation cycling period is about 18 months, thus cameras are tend to get obsolete quick. In the formation of image pixel, printer, and the drive of the technology of large screen display, you have to have a mental preparation of changing your camera for every 3 to 5 years. But good lenses are different, you can use them for the rest of your life. In addition, the good lens relatively preserves value in the second hand market.
2. Canon 18-55mm is just an entry level lens. If possible, it is better that you borrow from others or buy a second hand one. Normally people just use it for a short period. If you found someone is using the lens for a long period, it proves the user has not get away from DSLR entry level yet, thus this shows that the user is still not fully grasp about the importance of the lens to photography.
3. Canon 50mm/F1.8 II can be consider as an excellent lens. The quality of the formation of image can be compared with the L series lenses. Ones can buy this lens if you are not spend too much on your DSLR camera. However, if you have budget constrain, then for temporary you can buy the less expensive zoom lens.
4. Carry a lens to shoot for all photos will never able to carry out good result. The optical craft has been limited changing focus ratio into 3 to 4 times of a good quality lens. It is very convenient to use 18-200mm, but the photo result can be very soft and not clear(especially focus for long distance). After all, the function and fun of DSLR cameras are lie in changeable lenses.
5. The bigger the diaphragm is, the more expensive the lens is. The price of F2.8 is double of F4. But when the diaphragm reach F2.8, the formation of image of lens cannot guarantee will be as good as F4. When choosing the lens, one thing to take into consideration is whether the large diaphragm is really commonly used. If you only think of play around with wide screen lens, a low-priced 50mm/F1.8 is more suitable than F2.8.
6. When choosing relatively cheap lens, the diaphragm will reduce to 2:3. Usually in F8 and F11, the resolution will be close to the high quality lenses. But when come to shooting photos in darker light, higher movement pace, under the shoot condition the performance will reduce. But for high quality lenses, even the diaphragm reduce to 2:3 they are still able to produce good performance.
7. The anti vibration IS lenses are practical to use, without it, the tripod is very substantial and necessary.
8. You may consider carefully of higher price EF-S lenses(Can only be used in APS-C length). If you are consider in buying, I will not suggest you to use them for a long time either. It is the trend of the times that the camera carries out the transition to 5D. By the time, EF-S may have turned to obsolete. You may look around and see how many people are still using A-1 that can only be focused manually and its lens?